This feature is currently only available for Boots UK customers.
The validation feature supports the user in the booking-in process. It checks and validates current orders in the Medication Profile against new orders in Receive Orders.
Receive Orders Screen Pre-Validation
The Receive Orders screen has the following new features:
- “Validate” button next to the “Receive” and “Reject” buttons
- Show ‘All’, ‘Matched’ & ‘Unmatched’
- Filters ‘Order Type’ options ‘MAR’ or ‘TAR’
- MAR or TAR flag in the schedule column
Received Orders Screen Post-Validation
The user must click the blue “Validate” button.
The system will validate:
- Medication name/ingredient
- Administration time(s)
- Administration dose amount
- If the order is a Complex Dose (i.e. not taken every day)
- Order type – MAR or TAR
The system will then display one of the following messages in the Validation column:
- Matched (in green)
- New Order (in green)
- Potential Duplicate (in amber)
- Order Details Mismatch (in amber)
This is a new order in Receive Orders. It does not match an ingredient or medication name in the resident’s current Medication Profile. The user must still check to ensure it is expected, for example it has not been discontinued by the prescriber.
Users can click on the green “New Order” button to review and check the schedule.
The new order in Receive Orders matches the current order in the resident’s Medication Profile. This is a refill of an existing medication order.
Users can click on the green “Matched” button to review both the current order and the new order details.
The order in Receive Orders has been identified as a potential duplicate of an order that is currently active on that resident’s Medication Profile. The user must click on the amber “Potential Duplicate” button to resolve the potential duplication. The user will have three options to resolve this:
- Keep Both – this can be used if a resident is prescribed more than one strength or form of the same medication, for example if they have both Warfarin 1mg and Warfarin 3mg tablets.
- Replace Existing Order – this will replace the existing order (at the top of the screen) with the new order (at the bottom of the screen).
Users must enter the date and time that they want the existing order to stop on (this is the last date and time that order will appear on the MAR), and the date and time that they want the new order to start from (this is the date and time the new order will appear on the MAR). Once you have entered the Existing Order Stop date and time, the New Order Start date will automatically populate with the next day.
The current on-hand figure is displayed and can be changed here.
Users can write off the stock from the old order by entering this figure in the Destroyed/Returned box. This will update the On Hand figure displayed.
- Edit Order – the user can edit the frequency, time, give dose amount, start date and add a PRN dose. Users can also add or delete additional doses and choose if the medication will appear on the MAR or the TAR. Users are required to enter a reason for this in to the system. They may be required to obtain a witness signature for this change (setting dependent). Users should follow their Home or Group policy in relation to communicating this change to your local pharmacy.
Order Details Mismatch
The order in Receive Orders has been checked against the resident’s current Medication Profile. A current order exists for the same medication/ingredient, but there is a difference between the new order and the current order, for example a change in the time the medication is to be given. The system will highlight this difference in red. The user must click on the amber “Order Details Mismatch” button to resolve the difference. The existing/current order is displayed at the top of the screen. The new order is displayed at the bottom of the screen. The user will have three options to resolve:
- Start New Schedule – the current order schedule will be replaced by the new order schedule.
- Copy Existing Schedule to New – the current order details will be kept. Users are required to enter a reason for this in to the system. They may be required to obtain a witness signature for this change (setting dependent). Users must communicate this to their pharmacy.
- Edit Order - the user can edit the frequency, time, give dose amount, start date and add a PRN dose. Users can also add or delete additional doses and choose if the medication will appear on the MAR or the TAR. Users are required to enter a reason for this in to the system. They may be required to obtain a witness signature for this change (setting dependent). Users should follow their Home or Group policy in relation to communicating this change to your local pharmacy.
For orders that are highlighted as “Complex Dose” in the “Schedule” column, users must click “View or Edit Schedule” and check that the new order schedule is correct and meets their expectations.
To Turn on Validation
- Navigate to Settings > e-MAR > Options
- Tick the box next to “Validation is required before receiving order”
- If you would like to force users to click “Validate” before any medication can be received, please tick the box next to “Only orders marked as New Order or Validated will be Received”
- Click Save