If you have identified a duplicate medication on your resident MAR this will be need to managed to avoid a medication error. This can either be done from the medication profile or within the medication rounds.
1) Click on e-MAR on the green bar, next click on Orders on the white bar and finally click on Medication Profile on the blue bar. You will then need to use the magnifying glass to select the resident you wish to manage the duplicate for.
2) Now you need to find you duplicate medications and identify which order you wish to remove. If one order has been received by your e-MAR pharmacy then you may choose to keep this order over the other, this can be identified by the RX number. Any RX number that starts with ATM (Add to Mar) means it has been manually added by the home therefore has not come from your e-MAR pharmacy.
3) On the order you want to remove from the MAR click on the Manage button.
4) Click on the Edit Order button.
5) Now we need to add an end date to the medication, putting todays date on the medication will stop the duplicate from today. You can either use the calendar or manually type this in, then click the Update Schedule button.
6) Next we need to manage the stock, we do this by going back into edit order on the medication. Take note of your On Hand stock we will enter this figure into your Carried to Next Order box. We then need to use the notes box to document why we are changing the stock. Notes should start with the date, the reason why the stock is being changed and your initials, for example '11/11/2016 Duplicate medication order, stock is being moved over to correct order. AB' Click the Update Quantity button once your note is complete. This window can now be closed.
7) Next we need to update the stock on the order we are keeping. Back on your medication profile you will see that the order we removed is no longer showing. Click on Manage Order on the medication order we are keeping.
8) Click on the Edit Order button.
9) Now we need to carry over any stock from the previous order. Remembering what stock we put in Carried to Next Order on the medication order we got rid of we now need to put this in our Brought from Prior Order box. This will add any existing stock to our current medication order. Once this is added a note will be needed to explain why we have changed the stock. Notes should start with the date, the reason why the stock is being changed and your initials, for example '11/11/2016 Duplicate medication order, stock added to this order from a previous order. AB' Click the Update Quantity button once your note is complete. This window can now be closed.
Your duplicate medications have now been managed.